Saturday, October 10, 2009

Impending rules on gay priests create Catholic divide – by Charles Honey – The Grand Rapids Press – October 8, 2005 * Benedict XVI -> SILENCING TRUTH


Moved from October 8, 2009
Revised Febuary 13, 2010
When the Rev. Martin Kurylowicz came out to his Sparta parish eight years ago, he said he had struggled for years with his homosexuality.
The Catholic priest says the struggle would be made harder for many others if the Vatican issues new rules that reportedly would ban gays from becoming priests…
…"I sizzled when I read it," said Kurylowicz, 55. "It's very hurtful, is what it is. In this day and age, there's no reason for it. It sends a message that there's something wrong with gays."
Kurylowicz said he spoke out then to raise awareness of violence against gays and teach others homosexuality is not a choice but an inborn trait. Church leaders still don't understand that and contribute to gays' poor selfesteem, he said…
…"Kids as young as 4 or 5 know they're different," said Kurylowicz, a psychotherapist at the Guidance Center in Southgate with a private practice in Canton. "They grow up with this pervasive guilt, which sabotages their growth and motivation." The result is thousands of dollars in therapy to accept their natural orientation, he said, adding,

"Does the Vatican want to take that on, like the tobacco industry had to take on for the damage it caused consumers?"…




Background related articles:
The Grand Rapids Press - March 29, 1997
Editor's note: This story was first published on March 29, 1997, reprinted today May 27, 2006.
Parishioners supportive of gay priest
The Rev. Martin Kurylowicz got lots of hugs after Good Friday services at Sparta's Holy Family Catholic Church. But he expects others soon will react less lovingly to news that he is gay.
"I was just filled with tears, there were so many hugs," said Kurylowicz, 47, following Friday's well-attended afternoon service. "It means more now, because they know the real me." But he added there are "a lot of people hurting and confused" and anticipates some hostile reaction in the days ahead.
"There's going to be some hate," Kurylowicz said. "I think the worst is coming." Read complete articleby Charles Honey - Religion Editor - The Grand Rapids Press – Archives

The Grand Rapids Press - June 28, 1997
Editor's note: This story was first published on June 28,1997, reprinted today May 27, 2006.
Kurylowicz comes out
By his late teens, the Rev. Martin Kurylowicz suspected. He just wouldn't admit it. "I kind of knew, but I wouldn't accept it," says the russet-haired priest, casting his mind back nearly 30 years. "I believed it was evil."
"It" was his homosexuality -- a reality Kurylowicz eventually admitted to himself, then to family and friends, then to his Catholic congregation.
After 12 years as pastor at Sparta's Holy Family Church, Kurylowicz told his parishioners just before Easter that he is gay. Read complete articleby Charles Honey - Religion Editor - The Grand Rapids Press Archives

The Grand Rapids Press - Saturday, May 27, 2006
Gay priest removed from ministry
By Charles Honey - Press Religion Editor
GRAND RAPIDS -- Bishop Walter Hurley has removed from ministry a priest who stunned his Sparta parishioners nine years ago by announcing he was gay…
"I didn't refuse to come there," said Kurylowicz, 56…
He called Hurley's action "wrong" and an attempt to silence his criticism of the church's treatment of gays.
Kurylowicz spoke out last fall against a Vatican directive that gays with "deep-seated homosexual tendencies" should not be admitted to seminaries or the priesthood. The day before the priest was quoted in The Press, Hurley sent his first letter requesting a meeting...
Important note: I was quoted in The Press, Saturday, October 8, 2005, - Impending rules on gay priests create Catholic divide – by Charles Honey – The Grand Rapids Press – October 8, 2005. The letter that I received from Bishop Hurley requesting a meeting with me that was mentioned in The Press, May 27, 2006, Gay priest removed from ministry - was dated, Friday, October 7, 2005 but it was post marked Tuesday, PM, October 11, 2005. This letter was mailed 4 days after he wrote the letter? Bishop Hurley's regular day off is on Mondays. This means that Bishop Hurley wrote his letter to me on, Tuesday, October 11, 2005, after the Press article about my statements came out on, Saturday, October 8, 2005. However, he backdated this letter to Friday, October 7, 2005 and mailed it on the same day he wrote it, Tuesday, October 11, 2005. Bishop Hurley lied in the Press article dated, May 27, 2006 that he sent his letter to me the day before the Press article dated October 8, 2005 came out. The diocesan staff of Bishop Hurley's will not perjure themselves, if asked to tell the truth. A background check of Bishop Hurley will reveal an overabundance of similar incidences. Bishop Hurley's intent by making the false statements about me in the Press article dated May 27, 2006 was meant to do serious public damage to my reputation and causing great harm to my private practice, creating a financial crisis, in his attempts to silence me by removing me and by discrediting me publicly in The Grand Rapids Press. Below, I explained that I did not refused to meet with Bishop Hurley, however, his denial of paying me my regular priest salary and educational funding made my finances and commitment to clients the reason why I could not meet with him. I offered 3 other possible times for meeting which Bishop Hurley refused all of them.
Bishop Hurley and Benedict XVI could not find any legitimate grounds for having me removed from Ministry.
Because my work history is impeccable and I have always been well liked by the parishioners and staffs at all the parishes I had been assigned to. My background check is very clean, I hold a license as a Clinical Psychologist issued by the State of Michigan. The only reason why I was removed was because I came out as “gay” 1997 and I have continued to make public Press statements about the professional documented harm caused to children by the Vatican’s unsubstantiated antigay teachings "2005."


Background Information to the Above Press News Articles
Since June 1997, after I came out in March I have been denied my regular priest monthly salary and received no educational funding. I had to earn the money to pay for my education and rent, food etc. The letter I received from Bishop Hurley requesting me to meet with him post marked October 11, 2005, I explained that I could not meet with Bishop Hurley on the weekdays because I was working at a community mental health clinic with a client caseload of over 100 clients who were classified with SPMI (Severe and Persistent Mental Illness). To take a day off during the week meant that clients would have to wait to be rescheduled several weeks later. In addition, I could not afford the lost of pay for a whole day off to drive from Detroit to Grand Rapids (150 miles one way) to meet with the Bishop Hurley. I offer to drive up on the weekends, Saturday or Sunday to meet with the Bishop Hurley, but he refused. I offer to drive to Grand Rapids if we could meet at 7:00 am or 8:00 am in the morning any day during the week, Bishop Hurley refused. I offer to have a phone conversation with Bishop Hurley, but he refused.
In June 1997, it was made clear to me that I had no future in the Grand Rapids Diocese. If I decided to stay in the Diocese of Grand Rapids I was told I would have to submit to reeducation on human sexuality – conversation therapy/sabbatical. Before, I came out in March 1997, I was considered to be made pastor to some of the larger parishes in and around the city of Grand Rapids. I was previously offered to be the rector at St. Andrews Cathedral. After, I came out I was no longer considered for those parishes. I was told that maybe I would be assigned to a parish in the northern part of the State of Michigan. Because I refused to submit to being reeducated on human sexuality under the direction of Cardinal Ratzinger, presently Benedict XVI (this type of reeducation of human sexuality has been denounced as harmful and unethical by the American Psychological Association) and I decided to study psychology at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, I was denied my regular priest salary and any educational funding.
However, this arrangement seemed satisfactory to the Diocese of Grand Rapids for 8 years, 1997 – 2005, after my coming out. I their “gay problem” went away to study psychology and help out on weekends saying masses on Saturdays, Sundays and Holy Days at parishes in the Archdiocese of Detroit, where there is a considerable shortage of priests. It seemed a suitable arrangement. The lack of educational funding and salary caused significant delays in my completing my studies in psychology.
Cardinal Ratzinger elected Pope Benedict XVI – April 2005 - gay priests were to be immediately removed indiscriminately – regardless of good character, work history and supportive references.
Before I left the Grand Rapids Diocese in 1997 to study psychology at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, I was given a letter by the Bishop that I was a priest in good standing. From June 1997, to October 8, 2005, I made no public statements; I remained out of the news media. However, when Cardinal Ratzinger was elected Pope Benedict XVI, April 2005, he immediately started making public statements against gays in the same way the Adolf Hitler did when he came to power. At this time, I felt compelled in good conscience to speak out in defense of children.
Benedict XVI - Nazi - Gays


The Nazi campaign against homosexuality targeted the more than one million German men who, the state asserted, carried a "degeneracy" that threatened the "disciplined masculinity" of Germany. Denounced as "antisocial parasites" and as "enemies of the state," more than 100,000 men were arrested under a broadly interpreted law against homosexuality. Approximately 50,000 men served prison terms as convicted homosexuals, while an unknown number were institutionalized in mental hospitals. Others—perhaps hundreds—were castrated under court order or coercion. Analyses of fragmentary records suggest that between 5,000 and 15,000 homosexual men were imprisoned in concentration camps, where many died from starvation, disease, exhaustion, beatings, and murder.
Read moreNazi Persecution of Homosexuals 1933 – 1945 – United States Holocaust Museum
(2009 update) AUSCHWITZ * CHRISTMAS 2008 * A flashback far more severe than in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
RC hierarchy child sexual abuse “cover-ups” ordered by Benedict XVI to avoid public outrage & criminal charges falsely accused gay priests, WATERGATE?


My first public statement that I made since June 1997 was in efforts to protect children on October 8, 2005 in The Grand Rapids Press, Impending rules on gay priests create Catholic divide – by Charles Honey – The Grand Rapids Press – October 8, 2005. In this news article, I challenged the Vatican, Benedict XVI that he be made to pay for the psychotherapy sessions (Mental Health) to correct the harm that he caused and was continuing to cause to children by the promulgation of the Vatican’s unsubstantiated antigay teachings. That he be made to pay just like the tobacco companies were made to pay for the harm they caused to their consumers.
On December 8, 2005, Benedict XVI announces that the World Day of The Sick for 2006 would be dedicated to Mental Health. In the mid December 2005, working at the mental health clinic I was told that I was esteemed by my colleagues and that my name had been submitted to the Archdiocese of Detroit, Communication Department to appear on the “Dialogue” cable television show with Cardinal Maida to discuss issues of mental health in commemorating the World Day of the Sick. On Wednesday, January 4, 2006, I received a call from the Archdiocese of Detroit - Communication Department, asking me if I would be willing to be a guest on the “Dialogue” TV show. I asked the person who called me if they were sure that they wanted me in particular. The answer I received was “Oh, yes! You are a priest, a psychotherapist working in a community mental health clinic and you have been highly recommended by your colleagues.” I was told to think it over and to call back with my answer the following day. On Thursday, January 5, 2006, I called back agreed to appear on the “Dialogue” TV show with Cardinal Maida to discuss issues of mental health. I was told the times and location where to meet and to come early to sit through a bit of makeup before the show. It was all set up and they were delighted that I was willing to do the show. However, the every next day, Friday, January 6, 2006 received a very apologetic phone call from the same person from the Archdiocese of Detroit Communication Department regretfully telling me that the format of the show had been changed and that I would not be needed. Surprisingly, the very next day Saturday, January 7, 2006, I received a certified letter from Bishop Hurley angrily demanding that I return to the Diocese of Grand Rapids IMMEDIATELY!!!
What appears to have happened behind the scenes is that person from the Archdiocese of Detroit Communication Department did not know that I was the “gay” priest who came out in 1997. And when this news that I was going to be the guest on the “Dialogue” TV show traveled up to Cardinal Maida’s office there was an immediate negative response of rejection. And most likely a very quick phone call from Cardinal Maida of the Archdiocese of Detroit was made to Bishop Hurley of the Diocese of Grand Rapids ordering him to have me removed immediately!
I have kept all the documentation from this unfortunate incidence and I even had several copies made. My removal May 27, 2006 was because I was “gay” and that I had publicly spoke out in defense of children. The problem with removing me was that I was well liked by too many parishioners and colleagues. My removal was a deliberate attempt to do public harm to my reputation, to discredit me. A simple investigation of the offices of Bishop Hurley of Diocese of Grand Rapids, of the Michigan Catholic Conference located in Lansing, Michigan and the Archdiocese of Detroit would yield enough information of questionable illegal activity.
To Repeat:
Bishop Hurley and Benedict XVI could not find any legitimate grounds for having me removed from the priesthood. Because my work history is impeccable and I have always been well liked by the parishioners and staffs at all the parishes I had been assigned to. My background check is very clean, I hold a license as a Clinical Psychologist issued by the State of Michigan. The only reason why I was removed was because I came out as “gay” 1997 and I have continued to make public Press statements about the professional documented harm caused to children by the Vatican’s unsubstantiated antigay teachings "2005."

This is only a partial explanation of behind the scenes maneuvers of Benedict XVI and his hierarchy.
Explanations to come related to the May 27, 2006 Press article:
1) Bishop Hurley’s abrupt discontinuation, August 2005, of my Michigan Catholic Conference insurance coverage for psychotherapy, because I started seeing a non-Catholic therapist and was for the first time improving.
2) Bishop Hurley’s public disclosure to the Press, May 27, 2006 of the cost of my psychotherapy.
3) The cost of my psychotherapy was due to the fact that it was from Catholic Mental Health Agencies, under the influence of the Vatican’s antigay teachings, equivalent to conversion/reparative therapy. This needlessly prolonged the psychotherapy sessions, which clearly is consistent with -
The American Psychological Association at their Convention in Toronto, August 6-9, 2009,declared… its most comprehensive repudiation of "reparative therapy" — a concept espoused by a small but persistent group of therapists, often allied with religious conservatives, who maintain gays can change. No solid evidence exists that such change is likely, …The APA said some research suggests that efforts to produce change could be harmful, inducing depression and suicidal tendencies.
4) The UNDERLING FUNDAMENTAL FACT about me is that no psychotherapy would have ever been needed, if I had not been subjected to the influence of the Vatican’s antigay teachings in my early childhood years growing up gay, the same for millions of other LGBT people for generations. This is consistent with -
January 2009, the "Family Acceptance Project" headed by the Dr. Caitlin Ryan, for the first time, researchers have established a clear link between rejecting behaviors of families towards lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) adolescents and negative health outcomes in early adulthood.
5) Not only did the Vatican’s antigay teachings cause me considerable harm for some 47 years of my life. But when I spoke out publicly by “coming out” 1997 as a gay priest to draw public attention in order to protect children as young as 4 and 5 years of age growing up gay from this life threatening harm caused by the Vatican’s antigay teachings, which all is documented by professionals in the respective fields of study, Cardinal Ratzinger (now Benedict XVI) immediately threatened and inflicted more harm on me. He made it impossible for me to continue my life as a priest in the Grand Rapids Diocese. In 2005, immediately after Cardinal Ratzinger became Pope Benedict XVI, his intent has proven to be to do serious harm to the remaining years of my life in order to silence me for good. And there are no civil laws to protect anyone like myself in this type of situation, even though I am a citizen of the United States of America. This is not right.
6) Official investigations will prove the illegal activities to silence the truth and the liability of the Vatican and Benedict XVI of being charged once again with global child abuse and the failure once again to take the immediate adequate steps to protect children. It is just a matter of time, like with Hitler all will come to light, and justice will be served. Benedict XVI's continual ordering the hierarchy in a united effort to oppose Marriage Equality is proof that they have not even considered the harm to children and have ignored the overabundance amount of research data. The harm that is done to children is tremendous. It cuts deeply at the very core of child's ability to bond/attach to another or other human beings for life. However, in the meantime how many millions of innocent children will continue to be abused in this way because of their criminal neglect of their responsibility. Everyone is responsible to thoroughly study and learn the facts and research data about human sexuality for the safety and well-being of children. There is a lot more to learn than the outdated, inaccurate and whimsical ideas of "the birds and the bees," a child's life depends on our being responsible in this regard. Read more how opposing Marriage Equality is severely harmful to very young children growing up gay –> For Life !!! -> on ->Sexual orientation is less about sex and more about love, being one with another human being. Attachment Theory - - LOVE & RELIGION –
The U.S. Bishops are currently individually reviewing the draft of a pastoral letter -- "Marriage: Love and Life in the Divine Plan" --which they will formally consider at their Nov. 16-19 national meeting [2009]. With all due respect this pastoral letter will become their most vivid indictment against them and Benedict XVI exposing their irresponsible leadership at the expensive of millions of innocent children, globally. It will likely be the downfall of the Roman Catholic papacy and hierarchy, as we know it today.
For if we, Catholics, support Benedict XVI and the hierarchy then we collude with the harm they inflict on millions of children all over the world. We are responsible to learn the facts of human sexuality thoroughly and individually before acting, the meaning of a well informed conscience. And what we neglect to do for the least among us we neglect to do to Christ, this decides whether we will enter the Kingdom of God, as Jesus has told us. We will not be excused by telling Jesue we were only following orders of the Pope and hierarchy. This excuse did not work for the Nazis at the Nuremberg trials, it will not work for us with Chirst.

There is documentation for all the above 6 points.

To be continued, at a later date.

Important note: I mean no disrespect to Pope Benedict XVI or the hierarchy, the one and only concern is the safety and well-being of children.
Kids are being hurt!!!


Related articles to The Press article above dated - October 8, 2005:


The Vatican is to ban all gay men from joining the clergy even if they accept a vow of celibacy, reports say.
The late Pope John Paul II ordered a review of the Catholic church's policy on homosexuality after US priests were involved in child sex abuse.
A formal announcement is expected in the coming months, but Vatican sources have confirmed US newspaper leaks.
The Vatican has regularly made clear its opposition to gay priests, calling homosexuals "intrinsically disordered".

The Vatican is expected to release a document saying homosexuals will be banned from joining the priesthood even if they are celibate.
Guests:
John Allen, Vatican correspondent for the National Catholic Reporter
Jerry Pokorsky, Pastor at the Diocese of Lincoln
Richard Sipe, co-author of the forthcoming book Sex, Priests, and Secret Codes: The Catholic Church's 2000 Year Paper Trail of Sexual Abuse.

By IAN FISHER -Published: November 12, 2005
ROME, Nov. 11 - A Vatican document would ban new priests who "present deeply rooted homosexual tendencies" but would not exclude candidates who suppressed any gay tendencies roughly four years before their final ordination, an Italian newspaper, Il Giornale, reported Friday.
The article presented the most detailed account yet, including direct quotations, of a document that has been in the works for a decade and has provoked heated debate on homosexuality in Catholic seminaries and in the priesthood itself. Read complete article International - The New York Times


VATICAN CITY - The Vatican on Tuesday published its long-awaited document on gays in the priesthood, saying that men with “deep-seated” gay tendencies shouldn’t be ordained but that those with “transitory” tendencies could be if they had overcome them for three years.
The official release of the “Instruction” from the Congregation for Catholic Education came a week after an Italian Catholic news agency posted a leaked copy on its Web site. As a result, the document’s contents were already known. Read complete article AP Associated Press – msnbc.msn.com



A Vatican Retreat on Homosexuality - By Ellen Goodman - Saturday, December 3, 2005


BOSTON -- Somewhere along the way the dividing line over gay issues picked up and moved. It's no longer between red and blue states, or left and right wings, but between nature and nurture. Or, to be more precise, between those who believe that homosexuality is a choice and those who believe that homosexuality is innate. Read complete article - The Washington Post

Related articles on the background of Benedict XVI & hierarchy:

Child Protection Service of the Archdiocese of Dublin, November 2009 -Report by Commission of Investigation into the handling by Church and State authorities of allegations and suspicions of child abuse against clerics of the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin. Read complete report->Report by Commission of Investigation into Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin

"Kids Are Being Hurt !!!"


No comments: