Friday, September 3, 2010

Anne Rice: Best-Selling Novelist Explains Catholic Church Exit - By Dan Harris and Wonbo Woo – August 11, 2010 – ABC News

She Continues to Pray and Read the Bible but Refuses to Be Active Member

… "Today I quit being a Christian," Rice wrote. "I'm out."

She went on to call Christians, as a group, "quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious and deservedly infamous."

"I reached a point where I felt that I couldn't be complicit any longer in the things that organized religion was doing. I really saw it as a fairly simple repudiation, you know? I was exonerating myself," Rice said in an interview with ABC News. "I was saying, 'Look, when you -- when you see the persecution of gay people by the Mormon Church or the Catholic Church, I'm not part of this. I'm out. I don't support this anymore. When you see the oppression of women. I'm not part of it. I'm stepping aside. This follower of Christ is not part of that Christianity.' That's really what I thought to say."
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/anne-rice-best-selling-novelist-explains-catholic-church/story?id=11368437

No comments: