They also argue that by understanding the peer cultures that boys and girls develop as children, eventually society may be able to fundamentally change its views of masculinity and femininity. The psychology of lesbians may be best understood as part of the behavior of women, and the psychology of gay men may be best understood as a dimension of the behavior of men.
- Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi
- Papa Francisco
- Pope Francis - Criticizes ‘Narcissistic’ leaders of Catholic church – 10/1/13
- Pope Francis - A Big Heart Open to God – exclusive interview – 9/19/13
- Gay Catholic Priest (3a) - Fr. Marty Kurylowicz - Appealing his case – to Pope Francis - 8/15/13
- “The fact is that more people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, that my friends, that is true perversion!” Harvey Milk
- Pope Francis - criticized the church obsessed putting dogma before LOVE - over serving the poor and marginalized – 9/19/13
- (1) Pope Francis - … GOSSIP – “...how many times our COMMUNITIES, even our FAMILIES have become a hell in which we CRIMINALLY KILL our brother with words”. – 9/2/13
- (3) Cardinal Bertone - "Boffo method" CHARACTER ASSASSINATIONS – defamation of character, falsifying legal document – Calling Boffo a "known homosexual" was a fake – 6/1/12
- Pope Francis: Jesus has for every Christian - a promise, request and mission - all linked to prayer – 9/5/13
- Benedict XVI & Bertone - 'obstructed' sex abuse inquiry – 4/24/05
- President Obama - “Let Freedom Ring" - 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington – 8/28/13
- “I Have a Dream” - Martin Luther King, Jr. Address at the March on Washington, D.C. August 28, 1963
- Pope Francis epitomizes a true ‘Servant Leader,’ led by his desire to bring hope, equality and opportunity to those who have little, and to role model the mercy, love, compassion and courage of the Man whose church he leads… Margie Warrell – 8/28/13
- Pope Francis called for action - forming Vatican Conference of experts - to combat Human Trafficking & modern forms of Slavery – 8/23/13
- More on: Pope Francis Human Trafficking Conference
- A Revolution Underway with Pope Francis - Accountability, Whistle-blowers, Political Center, Break Monopoly, Collecting his own Information and Making his own Decisions… - 8/5/13
- Pope Francis & Gay Priests - Vatican resignation Bishop Bakot - staunch opposition to gays - 8/7/13
- Pope Francis - “wielded his formidable bully pulpit” - Never before had a pope spoken out in defense of gay priests in the Catholic ministry - 7/29/13
- Benedict XVI - “Impending Rules on Gay Priests Create Catholic Divide” - Fr Marty Kurylowicz - October 8, 2005
- Gay Catholic Priest - Appealing his case – Fr. Marty Kurylowicz – to Pope Francis – July 28, 2013
- Pope Francis – Reveals Vatican’s Corruption – 6/13/13
- Gay Catholic Priest – Fr. Marty Kurylowicz - Charged by the Vatican for “Coming Out” March 1997 - For the Protection of Children – 15 years later & President Obama’s letter of appreciation - July 2012 - Letter 5/1/13
- Pope Francis & the Mafia - 5/26/13
- J.K. ROWLING – Harvard University – “The Fringe Benefits of Failure, and the Importance of Imagination” – 6/5/08
- STRUCTURAL VIOLENCE and CHILDREN --- “Don’t Make WAVES” --- Benedict XVI and Curia’s Child Sexual Abuse Cover-ups and Gay Obsession - 5/15/13
- Pope Francis made WAVES - New Pluralism - 5/29/13
- Pope Francis - 1st Global Pope - Inclusiveness - Atheists "precious allies" - Sharp Contrast from Past - 5/29/13
- Pope Francis calls for global economic reform - 5/28/13
- Biden & Obama Protecting HUMAN RIGHTS - TYRANNY in Religion - Pope Francis Seeks Reform – 5/14/13
- Pope Francis - Blasts "Cult of Money" That TYRANNIZES Poor - 5/16/13
- Ricky Martin apoya derechos LGBT en Puerto Rico - 14 may 2013
- SEXUAL ORIENTATION and LOVE
- Childhood and Early Homosexual Identity
- 3 Psychological Facts About Growing Up Gay
- Fr. Marty Kurylowicz "Coming out" story --- Alive!
- Coming Out 1997 - Protecting Children
- DO I REJECT MY GAY BROTHER? - Bishop Gumbleton PBS 1999 - 5/28/13
- Fr. Marty Kurylowicz - LGBT Rights Begins with Children - 5/10/13
- Gay 1990s - Pope John Paul II and Homosexuals - 4/26/13
- Gay Marriage Hurts No One!!! - UK PM David Cameron - Importance of Families |The Lack of Love & Support of Children is ‘DAMAGE to Family’ - i.e. BENEDICT XVI --- 30 years of GLOBAL Child Sexual Abuse Cover-ups | Profile - SOCIOPATHS - 1/2/13
- GROUPTHINK & Benedict XVI/Curia - 30 yrs
- Dangerous Homosexual Repression - Hoover and Benedict XVI - 12/5/12
- Auschwitz -- Christmas 2008
- Benedict XVI’s Gay Obsession
- Sexual Repression and Pornography - Vatican's Ongoing Gay Sex Scandals - 3/17/13
- GAY MARRIAGE - 8 Part series
- Obama - ‘Changed Everything‘ Supporting Gay Marriage - 5/9/13 | Thank you, Mr. President and Mr. Vice President !!!
- Benedict XVI, Cardinals & Bishops Child Sexual Abuse Cover-ups - 30 years
- THALAMUS CENTER – Previous Posted - News Media Links & Research Topics – January 2012 – October 5, 2013.
Friday, April 9, 2010
Sexual Orientation and Homophobia are Formed Early in Life – Columbia University Medical Center
Book by Leading Psychoanalysts Argues
Dr. Richard C. Friedman & Dr. Jennifer I. Downey
New York, N.Y., July 11, 2002 – In a groundbreaking new book, two leading New York psychoanalysts tackle the problem of homophobia by identifying the developmental roots of sexual orientation and homophobia and by exploring the relationships and cultures of boys and girls that lead to homophobia.
… They also hope their findings will help treat those who have internalized homophobia and therefore may engage in high-risk sexual and other self-destructive behaviors.
In the book, Drs. Downey and Friedman show that homophobia tends to develop in mid- (ages 5 to 7) and late (ages 8 to 12) childhood and has different manifestations in boys and girls. By identifying when homophobia begins and how peer cultures differ between boys and girls, the authors aim to help clinicians highlight those times of early life that are key in shaping children’s overall ideas of masculinity and femininity.
“Boys and girls develop very different peer relationships and cultures,” says Dr. Downey. “During late childhood, boys tend to play with boys, and they also tend to be less tolerant than girls of what we call ‘gender non-conformity.’ So boys might label certain boys ‘fags,’ ‘sissies,’ or ‘homos,’ which can traumatize the boys being labeled, who may or may not be on a gay track. Therefore, boys and men may have more of a tendency to internalize homophobic feelings and channel these negative emotions into risky, self-destructive, or even suicidal behavior.” Read more - Sexual Orientation and Homophobia are Formed Early in Life - Dr. Richard C. Friedman & Dr. Jennifer I. Downey
About the authors
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Downey co-teach a popular course for psychiatric residents in human sexuality at the New York State Psychiatric Institute at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. Their articles on sexuality and sexual orientation have appeared in the New England Journal of Medicine, the Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, and other widely read peer-reviewed journals. Dr. Friedman also wrote the influential “Male Homosexuality: A Contemporary Psychoanalytic Perspective” (1988), which focused exclusively on men.
Study: Same-Sex And Heterosexual Couples Have Same Levels Of Relationship Satisfaction And Commitment - read more
“Helpers-in-the-nest” An Evolutionary Role For Same-Sex Attraction? Association For Psychological Science – read more
Lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals at Increased Risk of Psychiatric Disorders Due to Discriminatory Policies - read more
Homosexuality A Result Of Genetics And Random Environmental Factors, Says Twins Study – read more
Behind Acts of Homophobia Are Homo-Ignorance and Homo-Avoidance - Dude, I'm Not Gay! - by Joe Kort - Gay's Anatomy – Psychology Today - Read more
Single, Angry, Straight Male... Seeks Same?
A classic study reveals that young homophobic men have secret gay urges - By Jesse Bering – January 30, 2009 - Scientific American – read more
Sexual Prejudice - Understanding Homophobia and Heterosexism - by Gregory M. Herek, Ph.D - read more
The Closet: Psychological Issues of Being In and Coming Out - By Jack Drescher, M.D. - read more
It's The Gays' Fault - The Daily Dish - By Andrew Sullivan - read more
Marriage Equality -> Restores “Hope of Love” To Children In Early Childhood - read more
Ignorance about human sexuality is harmful to children.
“Someday, maybe, there will exist a well-informed, well considered and yet fervent public conviction that the most deadly of all possible sins is the mutilation of a child’s spirit.” Erik Erikson
Kids Are Being Hurt!!!