Thursday, April 8, 2010

Do Homophobic Men Harbor Secret Homosexual Desires? – by Allan N. Schwartz, LCSW, Ph.D. Feb 4th 2009 - DR. SCHWARTZ'S WEBLOG


Jesse Bering has written a thought provoking article for the magazine, January 30, 2009 issue of the magazine, Scientific American Mind. In it he cites two pieces of empirical research that support the notion of homophobic young men harbor secret homosexual impulses. Both research studies were published in the distinguished publication, Journal of Abnormal Psychology. – read more - DR. SCHWARTZ'S WEBLOG

Single, Angry, Straight Male... Seeks Same? 
A classic study reveals that young homophobic men have secret gay urges 
By Jesse Bering – January 30, 2009 - Scientific American

I wish I could say that I decided to come out of the closet in my early twenties for more admirable reasons—such as for love or the principle of the thing. But the truth is that passing for a straight person had become more of a hassle than I figured it was worth. Since the third grade, I’d spent too many valuable cognitive resources concocting deceptive schemes to cover up the fact that I was gay.

In fact, my earliest conscious tactic to hide my homosexuality involved being outlandishly homophobic. When I was eight years old, I figured that if I used the word “fag” a lot and on every possible occasion expressed my repugnance for gay people, others would obviously think I was straight. But, although it sounded good in theory, I wasn’t very hostile by temperament and I had trouble channeling my fictitious outrage into convincing practice. Read more - By Jesse Bering - Scientific American

No comments: