Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ricky Martin on Coming out and Coming Into His Own - By Nekesa Mumbi Moody AP, November 3, 2010 – ABC News


Ricky Martin talks about coming out, and coming into his own, on his own time schedule

…"Before I used to walk in the room and turn on the television, turn on the radio, my headphones — I needed the noise," he said. "Now, it's OK to be in silence because I guess I am not running away from anything. For me, just that is a blessing."

The Associated Press: Had you considered coming out before this year?

Martin: Everybody has to go through their own process, spiritual peace, to be able to stand in front of the mirror and look at yourself and start asking questions and say, "This is you, and lift your head up high and be happy about it and be proud." But the most important thing was my children. My children gave me the strength. Like I would say, "What am I going to tell them, teach them how to lie?" No, that's not how I want my kids to grow. I want my kids to grow transparent.

AP: Do you think Latino culture is less accepting of gay culture, and do you think coming out makes it easier for other gay Latinos and Latinas?

Martin: Homophobia is a global issue. It's not something that only happens in the (United) States or in Latin America, it's all over the world. I came out because I had the need to pretty much be free and be happy with myself. ... I received a lot of e-mails and I received a lot of tweets from people that said, "You know what Ricky, thank you so much because you gave me the strength ..." And that feels amazing. But we have to stop the hate. Like I say in my book, I don't know if it was because of my culture, I don't know if it was my own fear. I was afraid of fear, I was afraid of rejection, and life is too short…
Read complete report:


Spokesman for embattled Belgian [anti-gay] archbishop quits, cites loss of trust - November 2, 2010 – Reuters

RICKY MARTIN COMING OUT AS A GAY MAN AND A NEW DAD - FIRST TELEVISION INTERVIEW: November 2, 2010 – Oprah.com - (NP)
http://fathermartykurylowicz.blogspot.com/2010/11/ricky-martin-coming-out-as-gay-man-and.html

“Someday, maybe, there will exist a well-informed, well considered and yet fervent public conviction that the most deadly of
all possible sins is the mutilation of a child’s spirit.”


No comments: