Just coming out?
Maybe this article will be good for you to read.
Researchers at the University of Kentucky in Lexington surveyed over 500 gay men and women, inquiring about the positive aspects of being gay. Up until now, most of the research has focused on psychopathology, or negative mental health problems associated with being gay or lesbian.
But many gays and lesbians will tell you that there are positive aspects of such a life. In fact, they found 10 universal themes:
1. Belonging to a community
2. Creating families of choice
3. Forging strong connections with others
4. Serving as positive role models
5. Developing empathy and compassion
6. Living authentically and honestly
7. Gaining personal insight and sense of self
8. Involvement in social justice and activism
9. Freedom from gender-specific roles
10. Freedom to explore sexuality and relationships
Riggle, Ellen D. B.; Whitman, Joy S.; Olson, Amber; Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, Vol 39(2), Apr 2008. pp. 210-217.
Gay Couples Institute™
760 Market, Suite 1019,
San Francisco, CA 94102