Monday, February 15, 2010

Intersex Conditions – American Psychological Association APA


What does intersex mean?

A variety of conditions that lead to atypical development of physical sex characteristics are collectively referred to as intersex conditions. These conditions can involve abnormalities of the external genitals, internal reproductive organs, sex chromosomes, or sex-related hormones. Some examples include:

External genitals that cannot be easily classified as male or female

Incomplete or unusual development of the internal reproductive organs

Inconsistency between the external genitals and the internal reproductive organs

Abnormalities of the sex chromosomes

Abnormal development of the testes or ovaries

Over- or underproduction of sex-related hormones

Inability of the body to respond normally to sex-related hormones

Intersex was originally a medical term that was later embraced by some intersex persons. Many experts and persons with intersex conditions have recently recommended adopting the term disorders of sex development (DSD). They feel that this term is more accurate and less stigmatizing than the term intersex. Read more - American Psychological Association APA


What does intersex mean?

How common are intersex conditions?

What are some examples of intersex conditions?

Are intersex conditions always apparent at birth?

What happens when a baby's genitals cannot be easily classified as male or female?

How do doctors and parents decide sex assignment in babies born with ambiguous genitals?

Do babies born with ambiguous genitals always need surgery immediately?

Are persons born with ambiguous genitals usually happy with their assigned sex?

What happens when an intersex condition is discovered later in life?

Are persons with intersex conditions likely to display behaviors or interests that are atypical for persons of their assigned sex?

Do intersex conditions affect sexual orientation?

What challenges do people with intersex conditions and their families face?

How can I be supportive of intersex family members, friends, or significant others?

Where can I find more information about intersex conditions?


This Report can be downloaded at - http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/intersex.aspx


Organization Intersex International (OII)

Intersex News


1 comment:

Jim Costich said...

I'm a 52yr. old intersexed man. I'd like to thank you for posting this information. Like many intersexed people I was born with a mix of genitals/organs. I wasn't subjected to any surgery and am very relieved I wasn't. I'm happy with the body God gave me, and no it is not exactly male or female. I look male in all respects except my genitals because I've taken testosterone since my teens - I suffered anemia and osteoporosis until I was started on adult hormones. I vehemently object to the term "DSD" which turns a series of simple variations in organs and genitals into a disorder. Intersex is neutral and descriptive. "DSD" is perjorative and diagnostic. I never use the term to describe myself or others like me. I have adopted children and a loving partner.