Monday, January 25, 2010

Sirdeaner Walker, Mother of Boy Who Died by Suicide, Talks About Importance of GLSEN's No Name-Calling Week – GLSEN BLOG

Today is the first day of No Name-Calling Week. The following is a letter from Sirdeaner Walker to members of the National Education
Association about the importance of No Name-Calling Week and its message of respect.

Dear Educators:

My name is Sirdeaner Walker, and last spring, my eleven-year-old son, Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover, took his own life after enduring months of relentless name-calling and bullying at school.

As my family and I struggle to find peace, I have determined to do everything in my power to eliminate name-calling and bullying of all kinds from schools so that other boys and girls do not suffer as Carl did. I am writing now to ask you to join me in this effort by participating in No Name-Calling Week (January 25-29, 2010), an event designed to help K-12 schools engage their students in the important work of building respect for all. Read complete letter & much more – on - GLSEN BLOG

Related link:

No Name-Calling Week website - http://www.nonamecallingweek.org/


No comments: